Ottawans will soon be able to get COVID-19 tests at a number of local pharmacies, and the provincial government says the list of locations offering the service will only grow in the coming weeks.
Premier Doug Ford and Minister of Health Christine Elliott announced Wednesday that as of Friday, September 25, 60 pharmacies in Ontario will begin offering testing by appointment only.
"We rely on our pharmacists for our flu shots, prescriptions, and important health advice for ourselves and our families. It makes sense to engage them as key partners in delivering more COVID-19 testing," says Ford. "I have to thank Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall, and the independent pharmacies who have stepped up in a big way to help expand testing to more people in the province. With everyone pitching in, we are well on our way to reaching our goal of 50,000 tests a day and stopping the spread of COVID-19."
The province says pharmacies may choose to provide testing for Ontarians who have no COVID-19 symptoms.
"With a recent increase in the number of cases, we are making sure people have more options for testing to identify cases of COVID-19 early. We must not let our guard down," adds Elliott. "Our best defense is still to follow all public health measures like practising physical distancing, wearing face masks and staying home when ill, so we can stop the spread of COVID-19."
The expansion of COVID-19 testing to pharmacies is part of the province's comprehensive plan to prepare the health system for a second wave of COVID-19.
Given the size and complexity of the Keeping Ontarians Safe plan, the province will continue to release details over the coming days.
Ottawa pharmacies offering COVID-19 tests as of Friday include:
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 1180 Walkley Road, Ottawa, ON, K1V 2M5, (613) 737-3344
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 647 Earl Armstrong Road, Ottawa, ON, K1V 2G2, (613) 822-6746
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 455 Bank Street, Ottawa, ON, K2P 1Y9, (613) 238-9041
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 541 Montreal Road, Ottawa, ON, K1K 0V1, (613) 740-0616
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 3940 Innes Road, Orléans, ON, K1W 1K9, (613) 834-7383
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 2954 St. Joseph Boulevard, Orléans, ON, K1C 1G7, (613) 841-1535
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 1937 Portobello Boulevard, Orléans, ON, K4A 4W9, (613) 590-1626
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 1 - 2148 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, ON, K2A 1H1, (613) 725-9990
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 1309 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, ON, K1Z 7L3, (613)-722-4277
- Shoppers Drug Mart - 1102 Klondike Road, Kanata, ON, K2K 1X7, (613) 592-6010
- Cedarview Pharmacy - 12 - 4100 Strandherd Drive, Nepean, ON, K2J 0V2, (613) 823-1700
- Medicine Shoppe 143 - 19 - 5303 Canotek Road, Ottawa, ON, K1J 9M1, (613) 745-5905
- Rexall - 1615 Orleans Boulevard, Orléans, ON, K1C 7E2, (613) 824-0082
UPDATE: Also offering service is Hybrid Pharm - 318 Richmond Rd., Ottawa, ON, K1Z 6X6, 613-695-4923