A 19-year-old, considered one of the best goalies in the CHL, is joining the Ottawa 67's.
The team pulled off a blockbuster trade with the Windsor Spitfires in order to acquire Michael DiPietro, Tuesday.
The Vancouver Canucks netminding prospect will play in his first games for Ottawa this weekend as the 67's compete in the Battle of the Ottawa River against the Gatineau Olympiques.
This weekend will be the only chance for fans to see DiPietro before he departs for Team Canada World Junior selection camp in Victoria, B.C., from December 11-14.
Going the other way in the trade, the Spitfires receive forward Yegor Afanasyev from Ottawa, along with four second-round draft picks and three conditional picks.
In DiPietro, the 67's land a goaltender who had 29 wins last year and 30 wins the year before. He also helped guide the Spitfires to a Memorial Cup victory in 2017, posting a .932 save percentage during Windsor’s championship win.
"Michael DiPietro is a tremendous competitor whose team and personal accomplishments are well-documented," said 67's General Manager James Boyd. "Our fans will appreciate Michael's character and work ethic. We're excited with the outstanding goaltending depth this acquisition provides our team moving forward."
Here is how the full trade breaks down:
- G Michael DiPietro
- 2024 2nd Round Selection (Kingston)
- 2020 4th Round Selection (Windsor)
- F Egor Afanaseyev
- 2019 2nd Round Selection (Ottawa)
- 2021 2nd Round Selection (London)
- 2022 2nd Round Selection (Ottawa)
- 2023 2nd Round Selection (Ottawa)
- Conditional 2021 2nd Round Selection (Ottawa)
- Conditional 2021 3rd Round Selection (Ottawa)
- Conditional 2022 3rd Round Selection (Ottawa)