The Ottawa Police Service is advising commuters to expect traffic delays in the downtown core on Friday, in light of two demonstrations beginning in the early afternoon.
Participants in the "Fridays for Future" rally will be marching to Parliament Hill, starting at 12 p.m.
The rally is to raise awareness for school strikes happening in 957 places across 82 countries, and is expected to start on the hill at 3 p.m.
A first group of students will march from Ottawa University to Parliament Hill as follows:
- University of Ottawa
- North on Cumberland Street
- East on Rideau Street (possibly going a little past King Edward)
- North on King Edward Avenue
- West on York Street
- North on Sussex Drive up to the National Gallery of Canada
- Then South on Sussex Drive
- South on Mackenzie Avenue
- West on Wellington Street
- South on Elgin Street and into Confederation Park
- West on Laurier Avenue
- North on Metcalfe Street and onto the lawn of Parliament Hill
A second group will march, starting at approximately 1 p.m. from the City of Gatineau:
- Crossing from Gatineau via Portage Bridge
- East on Wellington Street to Parliament Hill
- Police will be doing rolling road closures as applicable.
Commuters are asked to find alternate routes and avoid the area, where possible.